Made with Moxie: AMA: Ask Me Anything

February 26, 2012

AMA: Ask Me Anything

Last night I ask my followers on Facebook if they could ask me anything, what would they ask?

What inspires you?
Colors and patterns are my main inspirations. My instincts lead me to bright colors and bold patterns. I love Indian and Mediterranean influences. And Mexican. Yeah, I love Mexico. Especially Dia de los Muertos things; skeletons, zinnias, bright colors. Often the inspiration to make comes from either a need (i.e. I need an apron because I keep spilling flour all over my jeans), or seeing something I think I can make better/cheaper. When I am out shopping I see things all the time that I love, but always think that I can make it better, prettier, more my style, or just plain cheaper. I hate to pay $50 for something I can make for $15.

What did you play with when you were a little girl? What games did you play? What were your favorite childhood books?
When I was a little girl I loved to color, play dress up/house, and Barbies. My parents tell the story of one of my first Christmases when the first stocking gift I opened was a box of Crayons and I did not want to open another thing. I loved coloring books and wanted my mom to color with me. She was the master at staying in the lines and shading. I find a need in my drawings and paintings to put a black outline around everything.

My favorite book was Hailstones and Halibut Bones. It was poems about each color that described the personalities of each one. I still own it. And highly recommend it. However, if you do buy it, buy the version illustrated by Leonard Weisgard.

What time of day/night are you most productive? Creative?
I read a quote somewhere that said the maker's mind never rests. It's rare that the creative gears in my head aren't turning. My To Do list in infinite. I find ideas shopping, looking in catalogs and the internet is both the angel and devil on my shoulder. The blogs I read are constant inspiration and motivation and don't even get my started on Pinterest. I am most creative in the morning, first thing, with a cup of coffee. And I am currently most productive during naptime. :p

What is the first thing you ever knitted/crafted that you sold?
The first things I ever sold were covered diaper clutches, and headbands. The very first thing that was 100% made on my own was my Yoda hat. When I found out my second child was a boy I wanted to crochet him a hat but didn't want anything too dorky. My husband and I are big nerds so I knew he would approve a Star Wars design. I developed the pattern myself, first for infant size, then eventually for toddlers, kids and adults. It is one of the things I am most proud of.

What's your favorite design tip?
Nothing is perfect. If you strive for perfection you will never be done. It is better to do your best and finish something so that you can move on and improve upon it. Just jump in and start making. Mess it up. Learn from it. Make it better. It's only yarn/fabric/paper/wood.